Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Why I love Provence







Why I Love Provence...


Our family has been paying a visit to Provence every summer for well over 10 years; so I guess, by now, we have developed somewhat of a routine there.

Favourite places to eat, shop, visit, sightsee; we try to check them all. But there is always so much to do, see and discover in this fantastic part of France that we never seem to have enough time and always leave with still lots (seriously lots) left undone.  

Provence has so much to offer with breathtaking scenery, delicious cuisine and the freshest produce. A rich cultural heritage, wonderful museums and exhibitions, great shopping, without forgetting that lovely singing 'provençal' accent and a particularly addictive "art de vivre"; all make the place so special.

It's that blessed time of year again (summer ? hellooo?...) and we have returned from sunny Provence after a two week vacation in July. Although the facetious (exasperating actually) 'mistral' wind blew us off our feet for most of the first week, the second part of our vacation was sunny, hot and perfect. Now, I've been back for almost a month and the weather at home here in Switzerland, has been rainy, grey, cool and, despite an occasional sun truce, very much autumn-looking. I can't believe it ! Where has summer gone ? Even for the eternal optimist that I am; I find it hard to realize this is actually August. You would too if you could see out my window right now.... So here I sit, hoping summer will come back with a vengeance...


seeeeee... outside my window...

In the meantime, I am hanging on to memories of Provence sunshine and all things related...

So I thought I would share some of the reasons why I Love Provence with you; perhaps some generalities for starters and then some shorter, (daily regular) posts about more specific spots and events with some of my favourite addresses thrown in.

Allons-y'....


I Love Provence for... 



The scenery with its' perched villages...
 
Lurs
 
Les Beaux-de-Provence



and sweeping views... 
















wonderful fields, flowers and trees...











 
















beautiful stone facades...



 





 



























windows...










 



 















and doors...



 


 














the many lovely châteaux...

















 


cloisters and monasteries...





Beautiful Abbaye de Sénanque in the Luberon (via Getty Images)

 

























there are countless wonderful fountains, monuments, statues scattered all over Provence... 









































I can't rave enough about the food, the markets, the cultural events, the traditions and costumes; let alone shops and restaurants... I could go on forever and bore you to death ! So, I will stop here for today and keep more goodies for my upcoming "postcard" from...

Saint Rémy de Provence will be highlighted next...

So, join me for my next post...

Postcard from St.Rémy


A très vite... 



 







 














 












2 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures. Such a refreshing flashback from our holidays. It was much needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad if it brought back a little bit of summer into your day ! Thank you for the sweet comment .

      Delete